Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Immaturity, I'd Like Some Immaturity, Please

We made another trip to the RE clinic bright and early this morning.  Dr B was out of the office so we saw the nurse practitioner.  She measured 15 follicles between 8 and 10mm.  As I watched I kept wondering, how does she know she isn't measuring the same dark spot on the screen multiple times?  (I guess that's why she went to school!)  The part that has me worried is that she told the nurse, who was making all of the notes, that there were about 25 follicles on one side and 18 on the other. Hello, that is a total of 43.  We know I have PCO so it could be that, but I worry about hyper stimulation (OHSS).  I asked the NP about it and she said OHSS is a concern and the goal is to keep my meds low enough that all of those follicles don't mature.  They started me on 150 of follistim and dropped it to 75 after 3 days.  I just got a call about my blood work from this morning and we are dropping the follistim back to 50.

Has anyone else out there gone through IVF and had lots and lots of follicles?  If so, did you end up with OHSS or not?  I am grateful my local clinic happens to be one of the top clinics in the nation and I know they are watching me very carefully.  I just have to say, I don't want to get truly sick from this process and I really don't want to have to put the transfer off another month or two so my body can recover.  This journey has been long and I'm ready to be pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. I have pcos and also have had lots of follicles. The worry for ohss isn't the number an much as your e2 level. Should be about 200 per mature follicle. So really they should be keeping an eye on that. For us pcos ladies not every follicle will have a mature egg inside

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's where we went, too. We saw Dr. H.

    As long as they're not worried, then you shouldn't worry. And I agree with what Misty said above. I'm sure it will work out just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete