In my last post I said I paid attention to my body so that I wouldn't ask a kajillion questions about what is "normal." Yeah, so it turns out I'm just asking different questions. The most frequent things I question are related to appetite and emotions. Here are some examples:
-I want something salty. (Do I usually want salty snacks?)
-I am crying at a cheesy movie. (Would I cry at this moment if I weren't pregnant?)
-I'm thirsty. (Do I usually drink this many fluids?)
-Awh, someone just said something really sweet about me. (I feel like I'm about to cry, is that normal for me?)
-Do we have any chips in the house? (What's with the salty snacking these days?)
You see what I'm saying?
Remember that post about how great the shots were going? Things have changed. I guess it takes dily shots for a prolonged period of time to piss off my glut muscles, and we have reached that point. I have a large, sore bump the size of a small sand dollar on each of my hips. And P says they are looking red. I've been on the IM injections daily for about 3 weeks, with as many as 9 more to go. I see my accupuncturist tomorrow and I hope she has some relief to offer. The discomfort isn't constant; I seem to notice it most when I am walking or as I lay or sit down.
I don't recall how this conversation came up, but a really nice guy at work said to me and the woman who sits next to me, "I'm so glad we've all chosen not to have kids. My friends keep having kids and I get so angry. Don't they know about overpopulating the planet?" Whoa. I get that we are all 35-40 year-olds in long-term committed relationships without children, and none of us talk about having children at work, but he made a big leap in assuming we don't want children. When there was a bit of a break I reacted by saying, "Don't get too excited about that because we do hope to have children. I get what you're saying about overpopulation, but it doesn't bother me until couples have more than 2 children. Also, at lunch I was reading my book and there was a part where the main character was asked to take a picture of her husband and son with the deer they killed hunting. She was initially repulsed and then realized this scene has been repeated over and over since our ancesters scractched images of their bison hunt on a cave wall. She decided killing animals might be as instinctual as conceiving children." He agreed that people are compelled to have children with or without reason and appologized for his assumption. Then he asked if we were going to adopt and I said, "Maybe," then quickly realized I couldn't live with that answer and added, "But we want to try and have children of our own." Then I felt like I might cry. How could I be faced with this conversation at work this week? How could I almost lie about how hard we have worked to conceive? It is so hard to talk about becoming parents when we are in this space of waiting to know for sure. I imagine it will be even harder after we have confirmation and before the end of the first trimester. It seems like answers just lead to more questions.
Keep your eyes on Sugar and Spice over at Hail Mary tomorrow (Wednesday). They are waiting for confirmation, but their 2WW has been stretched into a 3WW. Give them your love!
I know that feeling.... Feeling like everything is real but then also wondering just how well you can psychosomatasize is really strange. Good for you for saying something... Maybe you have spared someone else that same conversation and educated your coworkers.,.
ReplyDeleteI am hoping that your symptoms are indicative of great things to come!!!
Yikes! Nine more...weeks? You're a total trooper!
ReplyDeleteAnd I think it's strange that some people worry about overpopulating the planet--especially when there's all sorts of talk about countries with declining birth rates being likely to suffer because they don't have people to keep things going. I think there needs to be a balance (mostly by getting birth control options available worldwide to women who don't have choices about their fertility so they can decide for themselves what they want their families to look like) but saying that not having children will somehow save the earth is naive.
Hi I just came stumbled onto your blog, I am also on the TTC journey. Fingers and toes crossed for you! Sounds very positive.
ReplyDeleteAnd also congrats on standing up to your co-worker when I would have considered retreating to fight back my tears. Sounds like he was receptive and you were able to state your opinion (which will make it much less awkward when he eventually will hear about your great news about being pregnant.)
Well aren't you sweeter than peach pie? Thank you for the extra well wishes in your blog...just about brought tears. I went in this morning for the bloodwork...waitingggggg for the call around 2-3pm.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to your questions and possible symptoms...I did the same thing. "I'm so tired" but am I or was it just a long day? I craved the salt...but I do that naturally over sweets so is it real or not. It's enough to drive us insane isn't it? I say go with the positive side...we have to right? And good for you for standing your ground at work...it's tough timing but stay true to you and you can't go wrong!!
Thinking of you!